“One big family!” There are benefits to pulling from a pool of people you know when you’re first starting a new business venture. There’s also a lot of risks! What happens when you hire a sibling or a friend of a friend, and your expectations of their capabilities don’t line up? Mark Schneiders has accomplished the almost unimaginable - owning and managing a company where almost everyone is a first-degree connection or “once removed from the family”. Listen to this episode to hear his tips and tricks on this mastery!
- “There is an entrepreneurial paranoia, you’re often taking risks… and we find ourselves pushing forward, doing what you have to win, to overcome, to adapt.”
- As a business owner & leader, when you take ownership of problems and manage them the business takes off and breeds success.
- One of the best tools Mark employed is a culture Index. This helped him understand how his employees need to be motivated, led, talked to, and utilized.
- Not every employee will think like you or work like you, and that’s a good thing.
- Biggest challenges about recruiting and working with family members: especially early on it can feel like you never get a break - 24/7 spouse, kids, parents, siblings, house!
- Define your process and set your expectations. When you don't, chaos can creep in, and when your employees are your close friends and family, it can lead to friction.
- Mark’s advice: “Be honest... it’s more than okay to express yourself. It’s okay to say I don’t have the answer and I need your help.”
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mark-schnieders-2739b2121/
- Website: https://www.stridemobility.net
Ways to Tune In:
- Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/1fba44a7-752b-4ac0-a0a4-11ab25506ed5/ceo-confidential
- Apple Podcast - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ceo-confidential/id1197044116
- Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/2v6qyhzcD7Mk2yqhyobnRy
- Google Podcast - https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY2VvY29uZmlkZW50aWFsLm5ldC9mZWVkLnhtbA
- Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/show/ceo-confidential
- YouTube - https://youtu.be/QUGbJg8ckCU