It can be difficult to manage working both in the business and on the business. Bob Coppedge, CEO at Symplex IT, walks us through how he transitioned to working entirely within his business and its operations, to working on the business by developing a system to plan for the future. He discusses the importance of failure as a learning lesson, and optimizing your time and money by delegating the things you do poorly.
- It is important to know from day one that scaling is important. Only working in the business will take up a lot of time and limit a company’s ability to scale.
- Failure has a bad reputation. In reality, failure is vital because it promotes learning and growth. If you don't fail, then where is the risk?
- You have to have an understanding of what your employees can do better than you. Slice things off your plate by delegating the things that you do poorly to your employees.
- In your business, there is what you envision and what actually happens. You have to ensure that there is a connection between the two.
- Transform your limitations into assets. Bob was able to use Asperger’s Syndrome to his advantage in his career.
- Having a strategic planning system allows your company to have a framework that puts everyone on the same page.
- It is important to have both visionaries and integrators in your business.
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rlcoppedge/
- Website: www.symplex-it.com
- A CEO’s Guide to Information Technology: https://www.amazon.com/CEOs-Survival-Guide-Information-Technology/dp/069205538X
- I Don’t Want Your Job: https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Want-Your-Job-Co-Managed/dp/1733004815
Ways to Tune In:
- Amazon Music - https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/1fba44a7-752b-4ac0-a0a4-11ab25506ed5
- Apple Podcast - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ceo-confidential/id1197044116
- Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/5an441bbjLNCYKKcC5d0fl
- Google Podcast - https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY2VvY29uZmlkZW50aWFsLm5ldC9mZWVkLnhtbA
- Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/agencies-that-build/ceo-confidential
- YouTube - Full video - https://youtu.be/_stpBZo-rY0